Wednesday, October 19, 2005

When Bob (the Tomato) Met Larry (the Cucumber)

The meteoric rise and fall of Vischer and company.

I wonder how many people were aware of the true story behind Big Idea, the company that gave us Veggie Tales. This seems to be a good time to talk about this now that the latest addition, Lord of the Beans, is coming out next week.

The story relates how Phil Vischer and Mike Nawrocki started the first Veggie Tale video with their seemingly last pennies, plus the charity of Christians they knew. Then success knocked on the door, and for a while it seemed like nothing could stop the veggies from taking over the world (of children's entertainment). But success became its own trap as ambitions overcame common sense and good business practices. Soon Big Idea was faced with having to initiate corporate lay-offs, a devastating lawsuit, imminent bankruptcy and finally, the sale of Big Idea following the lawsuit defeat in Dallas. Since then, Big Idea has been bought by another media company and its leadership reorganized. With most employees laid off, a core group of its writers and artists led by Mike have moved to Tennessee from Chicago. Phil Vischer today remains a contributor to the videos though no longer officially employed, more like a sub-contractor.

Through it all, the production and sale of the videos has seemingly gone uninterrupted. I did wonder why 3-2-1 Penguins and and Larry-Boy ended their video series.

I have used Veggie Tales in our children's ministry without missing a beat since 1994 and was quite unaware of the big picture (or idea). I had actually read of the lawsuit and the business problems and possible lay-offs. But the success of the Jonah movie and continued subsequent release of other videos led me to make assumptions that everything was working out. After all, Big Idea wasn't just a company, it was a ministry too.

The reason I wanted to bring this up is that I had actually paid much attention to the rise and fall of another company during the same time, a company that exhibited a similar meteoric rise and fall. However, in retrospect I now realize that I don't have any real interest in Enron as I do with Big Idea. I don't own Enron stocks or understand much of its business trading power and how it cheated its books, etc. But I do understand Bob and Larry, 3-2-1 Penguins, and Larry-Boy. And so, I ask myself: How could I have missed it? Did I not see the signs? Is there anyone writing a book on this?

Needless to say, I am now in breathless anticipation of the book or movie, whichever comes first.

(While you're waiting for the book like me, you can read the 22-part "What Killed Big Idea?" behind-the-scenes story from Phil's POV on www.philvischer.com)

No comments: